Many times we need to have a bootable pen drive if we are a netbook user or sometimes we don’t have a dvd to use, but to create one bootable usb drive is very easy if you follow the below steps:
1. Insert your formatted USB (4GB+ preferable) stick to the system.
2. Open elevated Command Prompt. To do this, type in CMD in Start menu search field and hit Ctrl + Shift + Enter. Alternatively, navigate to Start > All programs >Accessories > right click on Command Prompt and select run as administrator or open RUN ,type cmd and hit enter.
3. When the Command Prompt opens, enter the following command:
DISKPART and hit enter.
LIST DISK and hit enter.
Once you enter the LIST DISK command, it will show the disk number of your USB drive.
4. In this step you need to enter all the below commands one by one and hit enter.
SELECT DISK 1 (Replace DISK 1 with your disk number)
CREATE PARTITION PRIMARY
SELECT PARTITION 1
(Format process may take few seconds)
now minimise the command window.
5. Insert your Windows DVD in the optical drive and note down the drive letter of the optical drive and USB media. Here I am using “D” as my optical (DVD) drive letter and “H” as my USB drive letter.
6. Go back to command prompt and execute the following commands:
D:CD BOOT and hit enter. Where “D” is your DVD drive letter.
CD BOOT and hit enter to see the below message.
(Where “H” is your USB drive letter)
7. Copy Windows DVD contents to USB.
now you have completed making a bootable pen drive , you can preserve it for any no of uses and format it too if u want it back to be used as a data traveller device.
NOTE:In making a pen drive bootable we convert it into NTFS format from FAT 32,this makes USB losses its efficiency,so,i prefer not to make pen drives bootable.